This Is All Kinds Of Wrong of the Day: A Texas-based “pro-family” group is calling for a boycott of Girl Scout cookies [pdf] in response to the organization’s decision to allow a Colorado boy who identifies as a girl to join a local troop.
In a video uploaded to YouTube last week, Honest Girl Scouts member Taylor, a 14-year-old Girl Scout from Ventura County, California, reads a statement excoriating GSUSA for “not being honest with us girls, its troops, its leaders, its parents or the American public.”
“Girl Scouts describes itself as an all-girl experience,” Taylor continues. “With that label, families trust that the girls will be in an environment that is not only nurturing and sensitive to girls’ needs, but also safe for girls.”
This isn’t the first backlash GSUSA has seen from its decision in Colorado: Three troops in Louisiana disbanded in December, citing the inclusion of trans girls as the reason.
A boycott of Girl Scout cookies would undoubtedly harm the august organization, as it receives a generous amount of its funding from their sale.
Reached for comment, Girl Scouts spokeswoman Michelle Tompkins told the Washington Post that GSUSA “prided itself on being an inclusive organization serving girls from all walks of life,” and will continue to review “cases involving transgender children on a case by case basis with a focus on ensuring the welfare and best interests of the child in question and the other girls in the troop as our highest priority.”
So… okay. So I go to this website and it’s very pink and obnoxious, and I give it a glance over but I can’t actually read anything because I’ve got too much of the flu to want to waste any of my precious energy on this baloney, but I give it some glances.
The claim that girls in troops would somehow… not be “safe” if trans girls were included is both infuriating and baffling. What exactly are they afraid a seven year old girl with “boy parts” is going to do in a room full of other seven year old girls and at least one adult chaperone? I mean, they’re going to put that assertion out there, what the fuck does it mean?
I also spotted some claims that the GSA supports and funds Planned Parenthood and uses pro-abortion rhetoric, which- while it might be true of, say, an individual Troop leader- is not true of the organization, like… at all. I did not have time to look at anything else because I have brain cells and like keeping them, but if you can call them out on gender-based hate and baseless, non-factual statements after ten seconds of exposure, I’m pretty sure they’re not going to garner much support from anyone outside of their narrow circle of friends and relatives.
(via actualjo)Source: thedailywhat
- mywindowview reblogged this from thedailywhat
- derp-pepper reblogged this from thedailywhat and added:
- rough-ar0und-the-edges likes this
- majorae reblogged this from kellywebb and added:
- sophioo reblogged this from thedailywhat and added:
- sleepless-sky reblogged this from thedailywhat
- wickedbadsugar reblogged this from ancientrelic
- ancientrelic reblogged this from watchingthenightsky
- ancientrelic likes this
- watchingthenightsky reblogged this from superdupertimemachine
- olympiaslover reblogged this from thedailywhat
- bluelittlegirl reblogged this from thedailywhat and added:
- mionaa reblogged this from ioughttobechief
- these-electric-stars reblogged this from numchuckbitch
- smashedandbrokenfeet likes this
- dukeofmeows likes this
- dewbeedoo reblogged this from thedailywhat
- roddaxios reblogged this from karenhallion
- theatrestolemysoul likes this
- majkristina reblogged this from thedailywhat and added:
- nnero0 reblogged this from thedailywhat
- pditi reblogged this from alllovenoh8 and added:
- primalmermaid likes this
- wewillwaltzonceagain likes this
- alllovenoh8 reblogged this from thedailywhat and added:
- redbirdblogs reblogged this from sunflowyr and added:
- kawaiiraddish likes this
- rarityrump reblogged this from 2econdp2iioniic and added:
- stillastud reblogged this from thedailywhat and added:
- pallas-athena reblogged this from potemkinsvillage
- kellythejellyfish likes this
- babylungs likes this
- friendlyneighborhoodgoth reblogged this from potemkinsvillage and added:
- redcaplf reblogged this from sharorama and added:
- sloppyfirsts likes this
- kaptions likes this
- djbeluga reblogged this from jenarwen and added:
- 12484611 likes this
- rwmendez said: This girl is angry for what reason exactly? I don’t hear this girl speaking such hatred…I hear her parents. Another example of how bad parenting can spread hatred, even at such a young age.
- shorm reblogged this from thedailywhat
- gatsbyspast likes this